This is why existing ServiceNow ITSM customers should use ServiceNow SAM Pro
A lot of organisations buy a Software Asset Management tool, but are not successful in achieving their SAM goals. As an existing user of ServiceNow who is looking at implementing or improving SAM, the new ServiceNow SAM Pro module should be on the top of your list.
Softline Solutions is a tool-independent provider that has partnerships with the leading SAM tool providers, we have identified an explicit opportunity for companies that already use the ServiceNow Single System of Action.
The implementation of SAM Pro can benefit you substantially from the implementation activities of other ServiceNow modules and create synergy between SAM and other ITSM, ITOM and ITBM modules. A perfect example of synergy is the reusability of data, creating consistency whilst maximising effort and costs. The ITAM team can piggyback on asset discovery done by IT Operations Management.
The ability to reduce the number of point solutions, will have a significant impact on the TCO for SAM.
To implement, manage and continuously improve IT Asset Management in a well-structured manner, Softline Solutions uses the House of ITAM®. It is based on the ISO/IEC 19770-1 2017 Standard for IT Asset Management, and forms the basis of the tried and tested approach that is built on many years of SAM experience. The approach is visualised as a house that is built from the ground up, the maturity levels being represented as floors in the house and processes as building blocks on the separate floors, and of course not forgetting the foundation!
On the right side of the model we show the three main objectives that our customers typically want to achieve with the implementation and execution of our IT Asset Management services: compliance, control and cost savings.
In the centre of the model, the coloured part of the house, we show the operational IT processes: what building blocks do our customers need to have in place to realise their objectives?
The left side shows the maturity model: which building blocks must be implemented in what order to move from one maturity level to the next?
Finally, the foundation of the House of ITAM®: the universal framework where all ISO standards are built upon and enables an organisation to align and integrate its IT Asset Management system with related ISO systems like:
- ISO/IEC 20000 for IT Service Management;
- ISO/IEC 27001 for Information Security;
- ISO 55001 for Asset Management (non IT assets, like buildings, cars, etc.);
- ISO 73 for Risk management.
This foundation shows the governance model: what management processes based on ISO/IEC need to be implemented to control the operational functionalities?
In the next paragraphs we will elaborate on how ServiceNow SAM Pro can help your organisation grow by mapping the benefits of SAM Pro on the floors/maturity levels in the House of ITAM®.
Ground floor: Management processes for ITAM
The management system uses the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model as a founding principle and process for continuous improvement of ITAM within the organisation. Softline Solutions has identified 4 ways SAM Pro can support organisations building the essential ground floor of their House of ITAM®:
- The stakeholders for ITAM greatly overlap the stakeholders involved in the implementation of ServiceNow’s ITSM module. Use the pre-existing investment, knowledge and involvement of crucial stakeholders to your advantage.
- In our experience, the implementation of ITSM processes generally have a higher priority than the implementation of SAM. When an organisation links the SAM/ITAM program to ITSM by pointing out the obvious connections, the implementation of ITAM can benefit from stronger support coming from Senior Management.
- The roles & responsibilities involved with ITAM are comparable to those within ITSM, and even overlap partly. Best practices can easily be reused. By using SAM Pro from ServiceNow implementing ITAM becomes the logical next step.
- The SAM Process implementation is relatively easy in ServiceNow as SAM Pro fully supports the ISO 19770-1:2017 standard for IT Asset Management. The SAM/ITAM team can piggyback on the existing ServiceNow implementation (ITSM, ITOM, ITBM):
- On a company level people already have access to ServiceNow for logging incidents or requests
- Less resistance to change as ServiceNow is not new to users
- Training on how to use ServiceNow is partly already covered
Level 1: Trustworthy data: Achieve compliance
Trustworthy data is about knowing what IT assets you have so you can manage them. It also includes the monitoring of changes in the infrastructure or organisation that can impact your ITAM practice, as well as securing the sensitive ITAM data against loss or unauthorised access. Think of:
- Change Management - Place responsibility of the impact of a change in the project management organisation where it belongs. SAM Pro provides the possibility to auto calculate the cost of a change or savings as part of the standard IT change request.
- Existing data can be reused! No new discovery for ITAM needs to be rolled out, the ITAM team can piggyback on discovery by IT Operations Management, IT Service Management and IT Business Management and utilise the already collected data.
- Synergy is increased because of a shared responsibility with ITAM processes:
- Data Management - Having a clear view on all asset data is crucial for a complete and correct CMDB, and shared by the Configuration Management, IT Asset Management and sometimes even Security. ITAM becomes a stakeholder of configuration management instead of bearing the responsibility for accurate data alone.
- The ServiceNow Incident module can be used to log and track ITAM related requests such as:
- Incidents related to faulty connectors or agents
- Improvement actions/mitigation actions deriving from license position reports and improvement plans.
Level 2 - Lifecycle integration: Achieve control
Lifecycle integration is about achieving greater efficiency and cost-effectiveness in the IT asset lifecycle, by assuring that IT assets are managed in the most effective way through out their lifecycle:
- Realise savings using the Now Platform to reclaim unused licenses. Workflows between departments are automated so no manual effort (emailing of Excel sheets) is needed to remove installations or revoke software privileges.
- No more duplication of software requests from one tool to the other. SAM Pro provides the possibility to create Purchase Order requests for new software rights and automate requests through fulfilment.
- Available software lifecycle dates such as general availability, end of life, and end of service life can not only be used for application rationalisation, but also to determine a possible impact on business services which are mapped in Application Portfolio Management.
Level 3 - Optimisation: Achieve cost savings
Optimisation is about achieving greater efficiency and cost-effectiveness through functional focus. Focus on the contractual and financial side of IT assets, as well as the risks involved with using them:
- Performance Analytics for SAM provides customisable visualisations of potential savings or compliance risks. Implementing processes on the underlying floors of the House of ITAM® ensures the quality of reporting you need to achieve cost savings using SAM Pro.
For any organisation that has already implemented or are about to implement ServiceNow’s IT Service Management (ITSM) and IT Operations Management (ITOM), using SAM Pro for SAM is the logical choice. The strategic choice for the ServiceNow Platform enables SAM to be a more strategic focus as well.
The implementation of SAM Pro can benefit substantially from the implementation activities of other ServiceNow modules and create synergy between SAM and other ITSM, ITOM and ITBM modules.
A perfect example of synergy is the reusability of data, creating consistency whilst maximising effort and costs. The ITAM team can piggyback on asset discovery by IT Operations Management, IT Service Management and IT Business Management.
Finally, the ability to reduce the number of point solutions will have a significant impact on the TCO for SAM.
Get in contact with the Softline Solutions’ team and learn more.